18 Job Networking Tips That Can Make A Difference In Your Career
It is not a question of whether you should be networking with other people. It is a question of how to effectively spend your time and energy. Focusing, Planning and aligning with your mission and goals will result in a more effective and enjoyable networking experience. It is a lifelong process that helps define who you are and how you are perceived by others. These 18 Networking Tips can make a difference in your career if you follow them.
- Allocate SPECIFIC Calendar time to networking.
- List all the physical places and online places you can network.
- Get a Business Card and Respond within 24 hours with a contact
- Engage assertively at networking events
- Make your first impression count.
- Be a Great Listener. A conversation means listening and then talking.
- Practice Your 20 Second Elevator Pitch
- Be positive and professional
- Demonstrate confidence not arrogance.
- Be sincere.
- Remember this is not a drinking party with some of your football buddies.
- Avoid overselling yourself.
- Ask the other person what you can do for them.
- Ask for their business card.
- Express your appreciation.
- Measure quality and quantity of your networking activites::# of events, Linkedin Connections
- Change and enhance your networks over time.
- Follow-up with network players before you need them.
Ready to accelerate and improve your job search? 4 Video workshops and companion eBooks designed to help you find a new career. Learn More Here.